Wednesday, August 26, 2009

...


Well Linda left today so that officially makes me the only American out here in Kamulu. I am not going to lie, it has been a hard day. After five days of no hot water and bucket showers, the electric guy finally came to fix it... as he was walking in my door, the power shut off!!!! So, he could not fix my shower because he did not know what the problem was. I just had to laugh it off. I am getting one of the girls to braid my hair tomorrow night so that on days when I cannot wash my hairs I will not feel completely filthy. Reality started setting in a little more today. I got to spend time with some of the girls and hear their stories. One of the girls was sexually abused so much as a child that now she has bladder problems. The doctors say that it is physiological which means that something that happens during the day terries her so much and brings back suck horrific feelings that she literally wets herself. There are more stories like that, but I will leave it at that. Yesterday Jackton took us into town and we went shopping at the Maasai market. We had to find our way back to Kamulu which is about a 45 min ride from Nairobi. Well, when we got to the "station" we caught the right bus to take us straight there, but little did we know that we had to wait till the bus was completely full!! We were the first in a 45 passenger "bus". We ended up waiting there for an hour with no windows open, the exhaust from the bus blowing in, and the smell of 40 Africans who were definitely not wearing deodorant. TIA!!! After 2 1/2 hours and about 5 calls from Jackton checking on us, we finally made it back to Kamulu... it sure was an adventure. My good friend Caroline wrote me some sweet letters before I left and they have really gotten me through this week. It is funny how God puts words in other people's mouths so that they will speak them to you and one can literally hear His message to you. Anyway, this one letter starts off with a quote from william McGill, 
" The value of consistent prayer is not that He will hear us, but that we will hear Him." 

This really got me thinking because for the last week I feel as thought I have prayed God's ears off. There are so many questions, doubts, fears, and definitely concerns. But through it all I have learned to not only spend time in prayer, but also silence. In time where God can respond, heal, and comfort, and He has definitely covered all the bases. Well, I better head off to boil my water for a shower...once again. I will never complain about bad water pressure..ever! Be blessed by Him today! 

1 comment:

  1. Sara,
    I really enjoy reading your blog! Reminds me of so much of Guate and the experiences our family have had.
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete