Thursday, August 20, 2009

Well, after 18 hours flying I finally made it to Kenya. All of my connecting flights were late so I had no time between flights. I was off one plane and directly onto the next. Luckily, due to my lack of sleep these last few days, I was able to sleep through all but an hour of the trip. I landed in Kenya around 6 pm (11 am Nashville time) but did not leave the baggage claim till 9! It was a mad Easter egg hunt. They don’t have assigned belts per airline, so all the bags were together, some from flights that had come in hours before mine. There were at least 900 people in this room looking for bags that were jut thrown all over the place. It literally took me three hours to find my two bags and they were on opposite ends of the baggage claim room. But, I will not complain because luckily both my bags got in. Joel picked me up from the airport along with six of my new students and we spend the next hour in the car teaching me how to speak Swahili. They are determined that I have it down by next week. By the time we reached the MITS complex I am ready for a shower and bed. Well, I come to find out that Nairobi is on an electric hold. Which means that we only get electricity three days a week. Monday/wed/fri are our off days and we do not have power those three days. Not a big deal except that I have to teach a class in candlelight..not very efficient. I can do with only showering every-other day, but I have 15 students and only three candles. So, this will be a challenge. Other than that things are great. I had good company on all three of my flights and made it here safely! Thank you for keeping me in your prayers and please continue to do so.

My day today began with a pot bath. We didn’t have electricity when we woke, so we boiled water and showered with it…oh how it brought me back to my childhood. This week is a little different due to VBS so I will not be teaching this week, which will be nice to transition in. I am doing crafts with Kennedy and Vasa as well as leading singing with Joel… Jackton thought that would be funny seeing as I cant sing. I will be doing inner city work with street kids on Mondays with Anthony and Kennedy, which I am very excited about. I will be handling the creativity stations for the primary education students (just what I love!) So I will be going into the city at least once a week. Well I better get to work. Hope all are blessed!

Thursday:

We have a MAJOR rat problem..more to come about that later. Moses fixes my computer..he is wonderful!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey baby, I'm so glad to hear from you. reading your blog brings memories of Peten. Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweet girl! I am so excited that you have started this blog so I can sort of keep track of you! You remain in my prayers. You are going to be such a blessings to everyone! Love you! momma #2 karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you AND your bags made it there safely.
    What a Great writer you are! Your mom gave me the blog address and I have emailed it to the entire family. We'll enjoy hearing about your adventure. I know ALL of your kids will love you just like we do.
    Good luck with the rats... Jim B

    ReplyDelete