Sunday, August 30, 2009

I AM in silence


I am back in Nairobi at the house of the wonderful Conway family. I have been a bit sick this weekend, so Holley took me in and has been taking care of me. She doesn't even know what her crown looks like in Heaven...but it is pretty big and pretty beautiful. Today we went to "easy church" which is a church held at the private christain school that Micah Conway attends. THe sermon was all about silence and finding God in that silence. So, this blog is about what He spoke to me in church.
For those of you who have not heard, I am having a bit of a rough time here in Kenya. I am home sick and struggling with the job have been assigned at work. But the biggest struggle that I am facing is hearing about everything going on back at school. God is moving in a big way..everything I have been praying for in the last two years. I have been struggling with Him on why He took me out, just time for Him to show up. Well, today at church I got my answer. As the preacher was talking about silence and really listening to what God is saying in that silence.
So as I was running back through all these questions, God began to heal the pain and answering those questions. He began to talk to me about how He has been around the whole time. That He is here in Africa.. Alive and active.. just as He is back home. He showed me that He is not (in my situation) in the wind or in the fire, but rather, in the gentle whisper that can only be heard in the silence. The speaker started talking about Elijah, which fit right in.
1Kings 19: 11 "The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 "
All along I have felt as though I am missing out, but I was only missing out because I was not willing to find God in all ways. He has shown me the fire and the wind, and now wants me to focus on the silence. It takes a certain dicipline to be in this place, dicipline for me. I love to talk and witness the miracles and wonders. But it is time for me move on to from the "milk"and to the "solid" foods.To see another side of His character. I now understand intimacy, when He doesn't have to shout at me or flag me down in order for me to understand or hear. But rather, to simply be silent and listen. He is in that silence and will respond. That is how simple He is, how gently and kindly he treats His children. One does not need to see fire fall from the sky to experience the whole being of our Father (although it is really nice and not mention pretty awesome). So, here is where I am at. Hearing and listening in the silence to see where He wants me next. Maybe it is home, maybe it is staying in Africa, but either way I find joy and comfort knowing that He is here, He is the silence, and He is in control. I hope that you sit for a while today and enjoy the gentle and soothing whisper of our God.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23t6z_jason-upton-in-the-silence-live_music

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Sara! ...and you. We studied this same passage last night in our small group. I get so caught up worried about things I can't control that I miss HIM in the whisper. Thanks for sharing your heart and blessing many through your experiences. We are continuing to pray for you while you are there. That you will learn and grow in more ways than we know to ask or imagine. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete