Saturday, August 22, 2009

It has been an easy week here in Kenya. VBS finished up on Friday, so next week we will get to work. While Linda has been here she has started a Friday night devo for the girls, so I got to sit in on it last night and get an idea of what they are like, for I will be taking over them once she leaves. Not having electricity half the week has not been too bad. The only time it is a struggle is when its cloudy and gets dark at around four, and the electricity doesn’t come on till six thirty. To be completely honest, I am a bit homesick and am not sure if I will make it the whole four months, but we shall see. I think I will be distracted a little more once my classes get going. People take their down time here pretty seriously. Saturdays is a free day for the students and man do they mean down time. Usually I can hear the girls at around six A.M. during the week, but I didn’t hear a sound till around ten this morning. I got a chance to walk around the grounds today and just kind of get a feel for the area. The way the place is set up is that the girl dorms and where I live, the study center, and the teahouse are pretty close to the main highway. About half a mile( or less I am not good at estimating distances) is the boys dormitories where some of the staff also live. So, they are not too far away. Then there is the twenty acres plot of land where the skilled students also study. That is about a mile and a half, if not two,from the girls place. Not many of the students go out there unless they are skilled students and have class out there. To them, walking a mile is like spending three days with no water in the Sahara desert. Not big fans of exercise. So I got a good feel of where everything is and what students are suppose to be where and when. Irene is the girls head resident. She is in her mid twenties and has been working for MITS for a few years, very sweet girl and very beautiful. So I will be helping her out with the girls a lot… it is one of my duties. Last night she invited me to go watch a show at her place, so I got a good taste of what really bad tv is all about. If you think American daytime television is bad, you would be in for a rude awakening. Better yet, you know how all Americans make fun of Spanish soaps.. well here their soaps, or as they like to call it, “great tv” are Spanish soaps dubbed over in English. So one has the terrible acting, unbearable drama, people talking really fast, and mouths moving ten times faster than the words are coming out of the speakers. Just not a good combination for anyone involved… but they appear to enjoy it, so that is all that matters I suppose. Tomorrow is church and after that we are going to stay the night in the city with the Conway's.. this American couple that lives here. I am pretty excited because I need something to cure this homesickness. Anyway I think that is all for now. I will update more after this weekend. God bless!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment