Monday, August 24, 2009

One Week In Africa


It has been a full week here in Kenya and I am more homesick than I have ever been. It has, however, been great. I spent the weekend with an american family that lives in the city right next to the U.S. embassy. They are great people and such a blessing. Sunday afternoon we took a long walk at one of the private golf courses in town. This place was beautiful! It look liked something one would have seen when the British first lived in Kenya, very " Out of Africa". there were monkeys all over the trail and we got to see one of the prettiest and most breath taking sunsets I have ever seen.  Church Sunday was interesting, not to mention long. They worship for a good hour and a half before the sermon even begins. But they do love to dance and sing, so it makes it interesting, not to mention entertaining. We spent the day today in Eastleigh with the street kids. That was also a great experience. I got to worship with the teen mothers and then play with the little ones. After work we ate at this great Ethiopian restaurant. In there we met a man who turned out to be a professor at yale. He is of Kenyan origin, but had studied at Oxford and then Yale. He was a smart man! It was interesting though because we were in this tiny tiny room which someone decided would make a good place for a restaurant. It probably only for ten people, at most. But man, the food was amazing! I had a huge wake-up call on the ride back out to the camp. I was sitting in the van and felt the release of all my senses working overtime. When one is in Eastleigh every part of your body is working overtime and one is always alert that once you reach a place where you feel a little safe, you can truly feel the difference... it is exhausting! Honestly, it makes me really thankful for home and does not help with the homesickness. Well my hot water heater broke on sat so I have to go boil my water for my shower..everyone reading this better go and take the longest shower of their lives and be extremely grateful for it!! Till later..LOVE 

1 comment:

  1. Love reading about your adventures, sweet Sara. And I'm so THANKFUL that I got to see you in Nashville before you left. We will be praying for your time there and know you will be a blessing to many. Sure love you!
    Ricky & Allison

    ReplyDelete